12 August 2012

Polymer clay biscuits

Sorry, I'm British so cookies are biscuits to me :) Anyway, I've made lots of them because they're fun and easy to make. Anyway, I understand that in places like America, some of these biscuits might be called different names.

'Sandwich' Biscuits

I never know what to call these biscuits so I just call them 'Sandwich Biscuits' because it's just basically two layers of biscuit (or clay) with a layer of filling inside (TLS/liquid clay mixed with chalk).

Yeah, I forgot to take a picture from the side so you can't see the bottom layer is a different colour. Anyway, basically what I did was on the first one (the smiley face one) I used a plain biscuit base with a red filling, and then cut the smiley face shape out of the top layer. I stuck it all together and it came out like that :). On the others I did the same think, except with different colour layers, filling and shapes.

I don't know if it counts, but here's a different sort I made:
Yeah, I got brown TLS everywhere...
I think I did it wrong, I cut out a heart shape for the base (with a craft knife and a piece of paper cut in to the shape I wanted. I don't use cookie cutters!) On top of that I put a layer of brown TLS. This is where   it went wrong... I wrapped two pieces of clay around each other and tried to used them to outline the biscuit, but of course it all went wrong. I learnt my lesson. But it does look kind of cool!




Cookies!

Here in Britain, these are what we call 'cookies'. Biscuits with chocolate chips (or chunks or whatever) are called cookies. I don't know anyone who calls any other sort of biscuits 'cookies'. I suppose some kids call any biscuits cookies, but that's just because of all the American kid shows they show over here...

I guess the one in the top left corner doesn't really count as a cookie, but it's there anyway. (I suppose it falls under the category of 'dipped biscuit', but oh well)

I suppose plenty of people already know how to make cookies... So I won't go in to too much detail.

I just took a base of polymer clay and shaped it. Then rolled a ball of foil over them to give them their texture. (I don't know what Americans call foil, but I think it's different) I dusted them with chalk to make them look cooked, then added the chocolate chips and decorations.

Mikado/Pocky sticks

Where I live, we don't have Pocky Sticks. We have Mikado sticks. They come in lots of different flavours,but not as much as Pocky Sticks. My friend (who comes from Hong Kong) showed me Pocky. They're pretty much exactly the same as Mikado :)

Yeah, I soon gave up on these... I took a stick of 'biscuit' then rolled them in TLS. Bad idea. Mum angry at me for messing up the foil on the tray. (I have to use the same strip of foil for all my polymer clay. If I mess it up, I get in trouble for 'wasting foil'. I have a strange family...)

Anyway, I suppose I could have just painted them instead of using TLS. The only thing is, acrylic paints seem to leave a shine. The chocolate on Mikado doesn't really have much of a shine. I guess I'll have to come up with something...




I'm going to make another post about more biscuits when I feel like it. Now, I'm bored of writing and my sister wants to play Sims 3.