19 August 2012

Millefiori canes

I've been watching Italian polymer clay videos lately! There are some Italian girls on YouTube that are pretty much perfect at making canes and jewellery...

Anyway, I've been inspired :)
Here are some of the Millefiori canes I've made. You can't exactly see them very well in this picture. They're not nearly as good as some of the people I've seen... But they're a start, I guess (and they're better than my very first canes).

I made the one in the middle quite a long time ago, actually. I made the other two on Tuesday and Wednesday...





I haven't put a cord on this yet...



I also made these pendants and earrings using these canes :)
Anyway, these are pretty straight forward to make, and you don't have to just use Millefiori canes to make them. You can use fruit canes too :) So if you only have fruit canes, and you don't want to make anymore, I'm sure it'll look great using fruit canes. The only problem is, if you bake your canes, it might not work. 

What I did was, I made my cane, then used the waste clay from making the cane to make the shape of the pendant/bead/earrings. Then I took slices from my canes and put them on the pendant, and used a rolling pin/rolled them so the slices looked like they were part of the design. Then I baked them and made them in to the jewellery :)

If you're interesting, have a look at these YouTube channels (sorry the channels are Italian). SweetBioDesign and MissiClaus. I suppose those two are like the best I can find right now since my computer's being slow...