27 January 2013

Ear Cuffs method 2

Hey, I bet you thought I was never going to make another ear cuff tutorial! Well, today we're going to learn how to make the really cool ones that connect to earrings! I'd just like to warn everybody and say: please make sure your piercing is 100% healed. New piercings rip easily, even after the initial 6 weeks. I guess it's especially easy to tear your earlobe with something like this! So please be careful, ok?

This is what it looks like so
far on my ear
We're going to start off by making a basic ear cuff, using the first method. I'm using a slightly different design and I'm using 16 gauge wire. You can use any design or thickness, as long as it starts with a loop and ends with a loop. If you like my design though, I don't mind if you use mine. Just try not to do it EXACTLY like mine please...









If you have some jewellery making earring studs like the ones in the picture to the right, congratulations! You've just made life LOADS easier, and can skip the first 3 steps! Tip: if you don't have pierced ears, you can use clip on earring findings!



1. We need to make the studs! As already mentioned, you can buy studs like these. I took some waste polymer clay and rolled it in to a ball. Then I actually took a clean, nickel free head pin and used it to make the post. I don't recommend doing this unless you're really sure you know what you're doing is safe, and won't cause you an infection (not all head pins are nickel free, the same thickness as normal earrings, etc). If you have some flat, jewellery making studs, use them.

2. Now you need to take a piece of wire and use it to make a short eye pin. Then you push it in to the clay and you're done!

3. Bake. You don't have to take the metal post or eye pin out.
4. While your stud is baking, you can do the next step! (of course, if it's not baking/you don't need to bake it, you still have to do this step lol!) We're going to put a jump ring through the lowest loop on the cuff. I'm using one of my larger jump rings. Now attach your chain. You need to make sure you have a good amount of chain, as this will connect to the stud. But not too much, or else you're going to just make it heavier and it just won't look as nice!

Now your cuff should look like this:
5. Oh, look! The stud part has finished cooking now! (I assume I will have startled at least one person by saying that lol) Now we're going to finish it up by attaching the stud! This part is simple: just use a jump ring to attach it to the chain.

Tip: If you have more than one piercing in your ear lobe, you can make a cuff with multiple studs connected to it. 

Ok, the next ear cuff tutorial I'll be making will be a little different! I'm going to be showing you guys how to make ear wraps, they're extremely similar to ear cuffs, but they sit behind your ear.