30 September 2012

Polymer clay canes

I can't be bothered to make any tutorials today... But here are my canes :)

I'm going to make some tutorials on how to make some of them in the future. I hate people who buy them off of the internet! (No offence if you do!) They're so EASY to make. Yes that's right, you MAKE them.

Anyway, before I start myself on a rant, I've decided to make some tips on how I get my canes to work!

Another thing is: I don't bake them, I keep them in a box, It doesn't matter if the sides get dirty.

How to cut canes

At first, I started with circular ones because they're easier to slice. You have to roll the cane with your blade as you cut it, and then it shouldn't deform as badly. If you just push the blade straight through it, it might make the slices go a weird shape, and in some cases, the colours might mix. You don't want that to happen!
With square/rectangular canes, there isn't exactly loads you can do except push the blade through slowly. You might have to reshape the cane with your fingers every now and then. For triangular canes, such as the strawberry cane, slice it down from one of the points. Again, you might have to reshape the cane sometimes.

You can make heart shape canes too, but the problem is (see my purple heart cane), they might end up making a triangle shape. If you want, you can use clay to make the edges of the cane rounded so it's easier to slice.