1 July 2012

Idea for Scrap Polymer Clay...

I have a LOT of scrap clay at the moment. I'm not sure why, I try not to waste too much clay because all together, clay can become quite expensive, but recently, I had a pretty cool idea (well I thought it was cool) about what I could do with it. Sorry about the low quality picture, by the way, I don't have a very good camera.

I like the Shamballa style bracelets I see everywhere lately :) But I thought it might be better to make my own, since most of the ones in the shops are made in different countries and I thought it would be fun to make, especially since I have no coordination (lol).

I'd like to make a proper tutorial at some point :) (but first I need a decent camera!) But basically, for the beads, I took a lot of scrap clay and rolled it all together. I cut ten equal parts and rolled each of them in to the shape of the bead. After that I used my thicker wire to push a hole through them, because everything else I tried just made the whole bead go a different shape (I guess that's just part of it being 'Soft' clay!). I also made two smaller beads, for the ends of the cord. I baked the beads all together, after that. I cooked them for about 15 minutes, since they are only very small.

I painted them all using acrylic paints. These paints also have a slight shine, so I didn't have to glaze them (I don't know if this is the case for all brands, but I use Studio by Sculpey - which is bakeable, but it stinks and the fumes really get me!).

I used the thinnest P'leather cord my local craft store sells to make it in to a bracelet. For the knotted part, I found some great tutorials on the internet :) I found this video on Youtube, which is very well made. It doesn't show you how to make a square knot, but it has a link to another video that shows you how. I also found this website, which is quite informational :).

For people who make charms with polymer clay, I also have an idea. If you find your white charms often get dirty and you have to paint them, try making them with scrap clay instead and paint them white. I thought it might be a good thing to try :D.